1. The Magnificent Train Journey competition is organised by Transport for Wales.
2. The Magnificent Train Journey competition is open for entries from 22 February to 6pm on 9 April 2021.
3. The competition is open to all children aged 4-11 living in Wales and its borders at the time of submission.
3.1. ‘The borders’ refers to:
• Telford and Wrekin
• Chester and Cheshire West
• Cheshire East
• Greater Manchester
4. Entries must be submitted by a parent, guardian or teacher on the child’s behalf. By entering, you confirm that you have permission of the child to enter. Teachers confirm also that they have the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
5. In entering the competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win.
6. Entries will be made in three creative categories: poetry, short story and picture. We need to be able to read all entries; please use a legible font and ensure any scanned or photographed entries are in an adequate quality. Judges will not consider any entries they can’t read.
6.1. Poems should be no more than 30 lines. Poems will not be judged on the spelling, punctuation or grammar unless they interfere with the legibility or comprehension of the entry.
6.2. Short stories can be 100-500 words. Stories will not be judged on the spelling, punctuation or grammar unless they interfere with the legibility or comprehension of the entry.
6.3. Pictures may be paintings, drawings, collage or any other 2D art form but may be no larger than A4.
6.4. All entries will be judged on the creativity of the submission, originality, use of language or chosen media, interpretation of the prompt.
7. Train names must fall into one of the following categories:
• local place names,
• historical sites or
• mythological figures.
7.1. Entries that do not meet these categories will not be accepted.
8. All submissions are given a unique entry number to anonymise the judging process. We kindly request that only the title be written on the entry to ensure the submission may be identified and kept anonymous. All other details about the entrant should be confined to the entry form.
9. Prizes will be awarded in two stages:
9.1. Up to 140 trains will be named. The names will be selected by five regional judging panels. Winners at this stage will name their train on behalf of their school (unless the child is home-schooled) and will receive a ‘creative kit’. The school will receive regular updates from their adopted train.
9.2. Eight prizes will also be awarded to creative category and regional winners. The prize in this category is a Hornby model train for their school.
10. The competition entries will be judged by five regional panels, featuring representatives of TfW, local authorities and rail groups. The category winners will be judged by a separate panel.
10.1. The decision of the judges will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
10.2. In the event that more than 1000 entries are received, entries will be shortlisted internally by TfW staff before progressing to regional panels.
11. Entries can be in Welsh or English.
12. Group entries are allowed on behalf of a class or school.
13. Children of any background are encouraged to take part, whether school-going or home-schooled.
14. Each individual can only submit one entry. If multiple entries are received from one person, only the first entry will be counted.
15. Entries should be submitted online at https://trctc.powerappsportals.com/NameTheTrain/.
15.1. We’ll accept uploads as Word doc, PDF, JPEG.
15.2. If you’re unable to apply online, you may post your entry to The Magnificent Train Journey, TfW, 3 Llys TfWyn, Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taf, CF37 4TH
15.3. Posted entries must be accompanied by a form (available to download here). They must be received before 6pm 9 April 2021.
16. Entries will not be returned so please keep a copy for your own records.
17. Once submitted, entries can’t be changed.
18. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary.
19. In the event that multiple people suggest the same name, only the best creative submission will progress to the next round and receive a ‘Creative Kit’. However, more than one school can be associated with a train’s name.
20. We can’t accept any entry that has been published before or submitted to another competition. Any entry must be your original work and it must not infringe the rights of third parties including copyright, trademark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
21. Prize winners will be announced by the end of June 2021.
21.1. Prizes will not be immediately received:
• All brand-new trains are currently in production and will enter service from 2022.
• Model trains are also in production. They’re due in December 2021.
• ‘Creative kits’ will be sent to the winners’ schools in July 2021
22. Transport for Wales will not be responsible for competition entries that are lost or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind. Proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt of entry to the competition.
23. By submitting an entry, you agree TfW will have the unrestricted rights to publish and/or broadcast winning poems, stories or images in any way it chooses, including, but not limited to, marketing, publicity, advertising and presentations. TfW may publish winners’ first name, year group and school, town or county in conjunction with their entry.
24. By submitting a competition entry, you agree that TfW may at its sole discretion edit, adapt, abridge or translate the entry for the purposes listed above.
25. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. TfW reserves the right to amend prizes offered.
26. Any personal data submitted by the entrants or winners will be treated in accordance with our Privacy Notice.
27. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of the terms and conditions set out in these Rules, TfW may, at its sole discretion, exclude an entrant from participating in the competition and immediately disqualify their entry.
28. Insofar as is permitted by law, TfW and its agents will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate any winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused directly by the negligence of TfW or its agents. Your statutory rights are not affected.
29. By submitting a competition entry, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions set out in these Rules.
30. The terms and conditions set out in these Rules shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales, and you and TfW agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.